Saturday, February 20, 2010

The Silent River - anonymous

Jane and I walked down to the river, it was a beautiful morning and I was sure nothing could go wrong. We sat down on the lush green grass next to the calm flowing river. Birds were tweeting and the smell of the outdoors just filled your lungs with the sweetest sensation. Jane and I are best friends we’ve been living with each other since we were both born. I’d have to say that I’m about three weeks older than Jane. Our parents bought a farm together after they got married and ever since, we’ve been living here. Our dads were best friends since the third grade. It was late June and my birthday was just around the corner, July 2nd. The day I turn 18 and boy was I excited.

I wasn’t too sure why Jane asked me to go to the river with her. We usually met there when we just needed sometime away from our parents. But that day, Jane was acting different and I just couldn’t quite get it.
“John?” She asked me in a hushed tone.
“Yeah, Jane? What’s wrong? You seem too gloomy to be my Jane today.” I replied, hoping to make her smile a little.
“Oh! It’s nothing.” She smiled really big. Now, before I get to the next part of my story, I should tell you that for a while no, I’ve been starting to have feelings for Jane. It was not the kind of feeling where I liked her as sister. It was more like the feelings you see on T.V., like the romantic kind. So anyway, I was a little confused when Jane smiled because just before, she looked like she was going to cry.
“Are you sure it’s nothing?” I confusedly asked her.
“Yeah.” She replied. “I just wanted you to come with me today so I could talk to you.”
“About what?” I asked impatiently.
“Well, you know how your birthday is coming up and you’re about to turn 18.” This is what I absolutely love about Jane. She always thought about others and she always remembered dates. Even though her birthday was only three weeks after mine, she still was thinking about my birthday instead of hers.
“Yeah? So?” I asked her trying to act cool.
“I just wanted to give you your birthday present, that’s all. I wanted to give it to you before hand. Is that okay?” her voice was getting a little nervous and shaky.
“Sure, I don’t mind.” Of course I wanted an early birthday present.
“Okay…” she said drifting off. “Close your eye.” And so, I closed me eyes and waited impatiently, and nervously to see what my present was. Then, smack, my heart was beating so fast I thought it was going to fall to the ground. Jane was kissing me! I opened my eyes and there she was, face to face with me. I was in shock; I’ve never felt like this before. Jane got up and ran off. I heard her in the distance screaming, happy birthday! I could feel my face getting hot and red. I got back to reality and ran back to the farm. I turned and looked at the apple tree, Jane was crying. I ran towards her and hugged her not knowing what was wrong. I wiped her tears. “Jane, what happened?” She answered me in quiet sobs,
“My parents want to move to the city, they say it’ll be better for me, better for my future.” She leaned into my chest and hugged me. “I don’t want to go John, I don’t want to go.” I was shocked, but this time, it was a chock of pain. I held her tighter in my arms.
“It’s okay Jane. I’ll make sure that you stay.”

The next morning I woke up and I was determined to talk to Jane’s parents. I skipped breakfast and walked next door. Knock, knock, knock. Mrs. Smith opened the door.
“Why, good morning John. What brings you over here?” I try to respond calmly.
“Good morning Mrs. Smith. I just wanted to visit Jane and Mr. Smith. May I come in?”
“Of course, of course. Come in.” I walked into the house. It looked so similar to mine, every aspect about it. I saw Mr. Smith sitting in the living rom. I walked over and spoke up to him.
“Mr. Smith?”
“Yes son? What brings you here this fine morning?”
“Well you see, I don’t think its right for you guys to decide where Jane gets to live. You can’t make her move to the city.”
“I’m sorry John, but we’ve already made our decision.” Jane comes running in and you can tell that she is infuriated.
“No dad! I won’t go! I don’t want to go. Can’t you just consider my feelings for once?”
“Sorry honey, but no.” I panicked; my mind was racing, so I said the first thing I could think of.
“Mr. Smith, Jane and I want to get married.” It seemed like we were in a movie and everyone just paused. Mr. Smith looked at me from the top of his glasses. By now I was very afraid to see what his response would be.
“Well.” He said. I guess we’ll have to…” he stopped in the middle of his sentence and looked back down at his news paper. “… plan a wedding then, won’t we?” Jane’s face expression went from shocked, from when I said we were getting married, to great joy and a smile when she knew she didn’t have to move anymore. She jumped up in joy and hugged me so tight I almost couldn’t breathe.
Our wedding was held in mid August at Silent River, where we had our first kiss. Now, Jane and I are happier than ever. We have a three year old daughter and we never regretted getting married.

The End

No comments: