Saturday, February 20, 2010

Running to Freedom - - this writer chose to remain anonymous

My breath burned in my chest, and I was running out of strength. There was no doubt about it; the soldier was getting closer. I can hear the breaking of branches as the sound got closer and closer. I try running without making so much noise against the leaves and branches. Looking back every so often, I saw them getting closer. Running with all my strength, I could feel the sweat that ran down my face and back. Out of no where I heard a big boom, my heart felt like it had exploded of fear. I was so shocked that I dropped to the ground. I waited awhile hiding behind trees and using leaves and branches as a covering. All of a sudden I heard people screaming and gun shots, bang, bang, and bang. I closed my eyes holding back fear. I got right back up started heading south going the opposite direction for the gun shots. The farther I got the more dead body I saw, I hold back the sadness as I kept running.
Then, it was getting darker as the day was soon reaching darkness, I was lucky enough to find a cave to rest for the night. No one would have been able to find me in here since the cave was covered by the trees. Not able to sleep much due to the bombings and shootings, I heard screaming of people begging for help and forgiveness. Closing my eyes trying to think about my happily family, wife, and children. I soon fell asleep. Even before sawn three gun shots went out waking me up, I jumped up to look around. All I saw was trees everywhere but in the cave there was drawings of people being chased and heading toward this unknown river and on the other side was people smiling, I knew that I had to find that river. I remember back when I was little and all the story I have heard, I remember that I had to go south. Since being starved, I was in desperate need of water and food. All of a sudden, I heard the sound of crunching leaves and I didn’t know if it was a villager or a soldier. I didn’t want to take any risk so I took off on foot. Not able to run, I just walked and walked. Trying to remember the route and stories that my great grandpa had told me and also the drawing in the cave, I headed south towards the river. Day after day searching to find the river, I slowly fainted on the side of the path. I don’t know how long I was unconscious but when I did I got up. Even without any strength left, my feet was still moving and moving. All I saw was leaves and I didn’t care anymore and started eating the leaves to stay alive. Now that its been weeks, and I haven’t been caught. I started going crazy and seeing things. i kept seeing a soldier carrying a gun chasing me telling me to stop. I was so scared I ran for my life. I kept looking back to see how close he was to me. Not noticing anything in front of me I knocked into a tree. I was knocked out cold. When I woke up, I was laying on a bed. I got up trying to run away. Seeing people in white jacket telling me to stop, I finally realize that I was safe by refugee camp soldier. Crying my eyes out, I was filled with happiness that all running really paid off. The nurse told me to rest, I closed my eyes and all I could see is the shooting and bombing. I was free but scared for life.

No comments: