Wednesday, February 17, 2010

A Hike in the Woods

My breath burned in my chest and I was running out of strength. There was no doubt about it: the bear was getting closer. I could hear the thud of its bulky mass upon the earth. Why was it after me?
I darted between trees and pushed viciously in through the undergrowth. Twigs scratched my face and branches tore at my clothes. But because of my momentum, they had to let me pass. Then… WHAM! A giant paw brushed me off my feet and forcing me into the air. I hit a tree and tried to hang on. Maybe if I could climb, I would be out of reach of the bear. Too late. The grizzly had my pack in its jaws. It swung me around like a paper doll. I let myself fly from the pack. I rolled onto the fairly soft, mossy forest floor. It helped me spring back up away as fast as my weary body would let me.
The bear realized after a few moments the pack was not what it wanted but I had already gotten a head start. Adrenaline coursed through me as I sprinted down a slope of the mountain that grew to be so steep that I was practically falling down it. The four legged bear was not as coordinated as I so I had the advantage.
Up ahead, the ground leveled out but I could see what was coming: a drop off. Past it was blue water. It was cliff overlooking a large lake. I just did not want to be slashed to shreds by the beast so I took the risk.
The bear was gaining on me now on the flat meadow and would soon catch me. I kept straight ahead. I hurdled off the rock face, flailed in the air and plummeted down to the water.
I formed myself into a vertical line shape to try to make my body enter the water more smoothly. I kept thinking the impact would come any moment, but it took what seemed to be hours. Finally, SMACK! I broke through the water and into the blue world beneath. I felt as heavy as lead so I kicked off my cumbersome hiking boots and desperately swam for the surface. As soon as I reached it, I gulped in huge droughts of air. Then very slowly I paddled over to a shore line that wasn’t very far away and not very rocky.
Exhausted, I dragged my soggy self into some grassy under the warm rays of the sun. Then I slept the second my head rested on the lush green ground.
I woke up when It was about noon, judging by the blazing spot in the sky. I was still damp but not soaking. Since the bear had got my pack, the only things I had with me was a pocket knife, a keychain compass, a granola and a wet, crumpled map from a brochure that I got from a ranger station. I only had socks on my feet but I tried to think positive and though that was better than being drowned with bots on. I had lots of bruises and minor scratches but only one good size wound. It was a gouge on my left calf from where the grizzly had swiped me. I started to gently laugh. I was alive! Wow! But I wasn’t out of the woods yet, literally.
I found my position on the map, the nearest trial, and the nearest ranger station. It was close! I could probably manage to get there by dark! Yes! It was the one I was aiming towards before the bear had attacked. Then I remembered who I was supposed to meet there: Rachel. We had been two peas in a pod since third grade. Now at two separate colleges, we didn’t see each other much so we had planned a backpacking trip in the summer. I had started a leg of the trail all by myself just because it was easier to start there for me. It wasn’t long so I thought I’d be ok without a buddy. Boy! I sure wish I wasn’t alone now.
Before, I was already late o meet Rachel due to car trouble getting to the starting point. Now that the bear had chased me, I was even later! I hope Rachel will wait for me. What is she thinking since I haven’t showed up? Well, I better get started. So I did.

It was kind of a pain to find the trail but I finally stumbled across it. Just in time too because I started to have muddled thinking. I couldn’t focus. My calf was burning. I looked down to see it had swollen, turned red and gotten a little pussy. An infection. NOT something I needed right now. I limped on.
A couple of hours later (I assumed), I felt especially hot and sweaty even though a green canopy shaded me from direct sun. I hadn’t met any people on this trail but I had seen a couple of inquisitive deer that watched me pass by. I plopped down right where I was and munched on half of the sweet and crunchy granola bar. Though, after the break I didn’t feel any better.

No comments: