Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The River

It was a hot summer day. The sun was baking people as if we were cookies. I was visiting my aunt one Saturday and we decided to go swimming in the Saint Croix River. So we packed up some snacks and headed out. When we got there we were going to ride in her boat. When we got to our destination we suited up and got ready to swim. I had a feeling in my gut that didn’t want me to go out so far. I didn’t listen to it. I was a decent swimmer and saw that the current wasn’t that strong. I swam out and was having a good time. Then I was curios, and wondered if I could touch the bottom of were I was swimming. So I headed down not realizing that nobody was paying attention to what I was doing. So I went deeper and deeper. Since I was very young I had a sense of adventure. I felt as if I was discovering a new world. I finally touched the bottom and had a sense of pride, which would soon become fear.

I decided that I have had enough fun and started to go back, to the surface. Then something stopped me. I couldn’t see what was holding me back. I feel around to see what was holding me back. I finally find what was holding me back. It was my necklace. It had gotten tangled up with a stick that was engraved deep under the sand. My body instantly was filled with fear. I tried to pull out the stick from under the sand. I thrashed and twirled but the stick wouldn’t budge. I was running out of air in my lungs. I couldn’t feel them start to shrivel into a raisin. I started to feel lighted. And with the last amount of energy I tried to break the stick. A lot of adrenaline was kicking into my body. The power coursed through my arms. I used power I didn’t even know I had. And finally the stick broke. I felt like fainting. My arms were exhausted. I let myself float up to the surface, where my lungs awaited to be relived.

No comments: